3 Shares Beating The FTSE Today

Published in Investing on 24 October 2012

Home Retail (LSE: HOME) and Punch Taverns (LSE: PUB) are both recovering.

The FTSE 100 (UKX) has been falling back this week, but that was arrested today and it's currently seven points up on 5,805 points. It's looking unlikely that its 52-week high of 5,989 points is going to be beaten this week.

But if the Footsie is stumbling, there are plenty of individual companies in the various indices that are doing fine. Here are three beating the FTSE today...

Home Retail

Home Retail (LSE: HOME) gained 3.7p (3.6%) to 1.8p on the day it released half-year results. The key interest focused on Argos, where online retail is going strong -- multi-channel sales accounted for 51% of all sales during the period. As Argos moves its focus further from catalogue shopping to online, at least 75 stores will be closed or relocated.

Overall "benchmark" operating profit was down 29% to £19m, but that was expected, and the progress at Argos looks like a further step in a hopefully successful recovery.

Punch Taverns

Preliminary results from Punch Taverns (LSE: PUB) lifted the shares 6.8% to 6.9p, as the figures were pretty much in line with expectations. Pre-tax profit is down 11% to £64m over last year, earnings per share down 16% to 7.2p. Net debt increased by £137m, but the firm's cash reserves stood at £264m at year-end.

So far, all of this seems to represent decent progress on the pub chain's restructuring.

If you're a new investor and want a bit more insight into the things that drive share prices, a copy of the Motley Fool report "What Every New Investor Needs To Know" could be very valuable. It's free, so you have nothing to lose. Just click here for your copy.

Condor Gold

Condor Gold (LSE: CNR) rose 5.5p (3%) to 188p after the precious metals explorer announced it has received approval from Nicaragua's Department of Mines to transfer the La Mojarra Concession to Condor's Nicaraguan subsidiary.

Condor, which also operates in El Salvador, has been on a good run of late, with the shares having more than quadrupled since their June low of 44p.

If digging for gold is risky but potentially rewarding, oil & gas can me more so. The Motley Fool reportHow To Unearth Great Oil & Gas Sharesis intended to help, so click here to get your free copy while it's still available.

Further Motley Fool investment opportunities:

> Alan does not own any shares mentioned in this article.

Comments

williumss 20 May 2013 , 1:35pm

This is the initial instance I stopover this blog. Really this is grand employment with the blog. It is incredibly happiness to acquire it as I got gigantic helps right here. I exceedingly be pleased about the bloggers workings and will kill time for more post from the admin. business valuation in Nashville

alax128 25 May 2013 , 6:06pm

If truth be told awe-inspiring toil with the blog. I do akin to your durable employment and will hang around for more post from you as post gave me satisfaction and gives some helps to do same work right here. Thanks a lot…………………………english essay

tompalc3 17 Jun 2013 , 6:04am

The information in your article was very helpful. Though there are many speculations and uncertainties about the market conditions, I could find many points that helped me invest better. Please provide more information about bullion gold.search here

josefser 30 Jun 2013 , 11:52am

If truth be told prosperous content and exceedingly valuable information. I got it my result over here. I exceedingly urge his/her workings with the positive informative information. Thanks a lot………..thesis

javedakater1234 24 Aug 2013 , 1:17pm

express gratitude you for one more absolutely vital item. while additional might any person get that sort of information in such an entire approach of composing? I even have a presentation incoming week, and that i am on the lookout for such data. test prep

DanielAgger 25 Sep 2013 , 9:15pm

Oh! Amazing job with the article. I come across few helps over here related by this post to do my task nicely. I highly recommend this. Thanks a lot………
huge amount of casino changes lives of everyone

sharrysteve1 28 Sep 2013 , 1:04pm

Well I will just stick to the essentials because I don't think that the guests will be able to swallow the information easily . Thanks for you wrote for me. Another thing, I am the one handling affairs at this. Check this

sharrysteve1 28 Sep 2013 , 1:04pm